Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WEEP in Rural Kenya



Walking on the road, headed to the meet the new WEEP women I was astonished with seeing a score of women carrying very tall piles of bricks on their heads. As my group headed up the hill, I believe a woman looked at me and said “njaa” – hunger, and as I looked a 2nd time after taking out something for her to snack on, I realized I didn’t even know which woman it was.  Compassion and a feeling of insufficiency gripped me and now three days later it hasn’t let go.
The first WEEP woman I interviewed told me this: she depends on the produce of her small field to feed her and her children.  She eats some eggs from her chickens HEART bought a couple months ago and earns $2/mo from selling some. She earns $20/mo from tea farming.  This still is not enough so she can earn about one cent for each brick she carries.  Depending on how hungry she is, she may work up to 6 hours/day – that will earn hear another $10/mo. Her total income is about $32/mo (more than most of the 40 ladies).
These women are all widowed mothers with HIV.  They work hard to keep hunger at bay. They never have money to buy things such as clothes or shoes.  They have one bed per house and many are without mattresses for the bed, usually just one or two blankets to share with up to 7.  One lady who I asked if she was receiving aid from anyone said she was thankful for HEART.  I asked what has HEART helped her with and she said a uniform and shoes.  Though it was back in 2006, the year my daughter Rachel and I helped, she was still thankful.  What rang loud and clear was she has mostly been “out there” on her own, trying to make a life for herself for her and her children in the midst of severe poverty.
In Nairobi, I had worked long hours to revise old forms to adapt them to rural areas – photo & personal history release, participant agreements, the initial assessment, individual success/progress report.  Vickie and Alice also put many hours into these forms.  We knew WEEP in the city, now we were kicking it off in the rural areas.  However, my big concern was what we would really be able to do with these ladies.
  • We found that these Participant Agreement rules were something that they wanted and were important.   Last year, these ladies had come together, most very frightened to share with anyone their HIV status.
  • We came with minimal financial support but what we had for them was skill for community building, nutrition and agriculture knowledge and spiritual support; for these they were very grateful. Almost everyone there had enthusiasm which was infectious.
  • We had them brainstorm about skills which they would like to acquire.
  • An agronomist and I (a nutritionist) surveyed them on the foods they currently grow and their problems with crops.  The last two things we did were the Home Garden class and the Nutrition class.   By this time, based on getting to know them for 2 days, we were able to make our classes suited for their needs.


When I asked them individually about their social spiritual ives I heard that they gained encouragement from others, in church and in the group. I did not hear much about their hope gained daily from knowing Jesus Christ.  Beginning day two the women were encouraged with Psalm 91: 1 – 5.He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!”  For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day;
We who are Christians, know this is true, do we really live by it? Truly, we are made to live under the shadow of His wings where He is ever-guiding and ever-loving.
  • During these two days, the ladies got lunches and chai with milk and a loaf of bread. One member of the team spent $240 so they all could have beans for a couple weeks.
  • They received knowledge from each other as facilitators helped them with discussions to make wiser choices for food security.
  • The community they have been building has piqued, but will soar higher.


Still, I pray, that they will not rely on man, but on God alone.  I pray that even in the midst of their current sufferings that they will know God in a way that they will have peace and joy.
How can one live carrying a hundred pounds of bricks on her head, insufficient food, discrimination of HIV, children who she cannot keep warm and well fed?
Today, back one day, I was asked for money while walking home through Runda; I did not doubt the hunger. As I walked with the two, I also noticed one was limping, she had been hit by a car; the poor have no recourse. As we walked her oversized flip flop sandal broke.  We help those who God puts in our path to help.  Sometimes we have to weep for the poor.
 They received knowledge from each other as facilitators helped them with discussions to make wiser choices for food security.

No comments:

Post a Comment